** UPDATE: COMMENTS ARE WORKING! Just click the individual post title, you can't leave them on the main page.


Weird. **

9.25.2008

Slightly Offended

Tonight I had a very busy night at work, and once I got home I was exhausted. I can't just shower and go to bed, I need to wind down first, so I decided to read a little of the new Ensign we got today. I flipped through and was too tired to really read anything, but I stopped on an article entitled "Preparing Yourself for Marriage." So I thought, I'm a "single" I guess this applies to me.
The scriptures tell us "be not easily offended" and usually I really try to apply this concept to my life. I say what I feel and allow others the same courtesy without letting it get to me, but this article slightly offended me.

Elder Shumway said that the article is directed to the "increasing number of young people who are of marriageable age but who lack the faith or have not developed the personal qualities necessary for a wholesome, congenial marriage."

Hmm. Really?

I continued to read the article and read it almost as a very basic checklist. While doing so, I made mental notes of which of the 8 things I could "check off":
  1. I love the Lord, I always try to live in a way that will get me back to his presence.
  2. I'm productive. I work, go to school, started my own photography business, I read, I knit, scrapbook, workout, bike ride, etc.
  3. I love playing with friends and going to family activities, and I always try to stay busy.
  4. I'm happy.
  5. I'm temple worthy.
  6. I volunteer as often as possible for the Hospital
  7. I'm a neat freak!
The one check point I didn't complete was the attending the temple part. I want to wait and do that with my husband when I'm endowed...

Don't get me wrong, I know I have a lot of work to do but I don't consider myself faithless or inept in anyway. To be honest I don't want to get married. Right now it's almost last on my list of things to do. I want to go further in school, start a career, buy a home, get my finances in order, and live a life where I feel independent and free. I want to accomplish things on my own, things I won't be able to do once I marry. I'm not against marriage by any means, I almost got married but it didn't work out.

So although I know Elder Shumway wasn't speaking directly to me I would just like to say, that while I will continue to prepare, just because I don't want to get married doesn't mean I lack faith, or wouldn't know how to have a successful marriage. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so tell me what you think!