** UPDATE: COMMENTS ARE WORKING! Just click the individual post title, you can't leave them on the main page.


Weird. **

8.07.2009

Hello
I'm Gail

Hello, I’m Gail…
Apparently…
Close to a month ago, I received a call from a number I didn’t recognize. I am notorious for screening my phone calls, so of course I didn’t answer. No message followed, so I assumed it was a wrong number.
About 2 days later my phone made a “bing-bong” noise, alerting me that I had a new text message. It was from the same number that had mis-dialed just a few days earlier. The message said:
“Hi Gail, I’m in your area if you’d like to put in your Avon order. Give me a call.
–Cindy”
I kindly texted back, that this was not Gail, and Cindy must have the wrong number.
A few days later I received another phone call and text message. Both from Cindy, telling Gail that she postponed her order, so if Gail hurries she can still take the order until Saturday.
This time I called back and left Cindy a message. “Hi Cindy, this is Morgan. You keep sending/leaving me messages for someone named Gail. I just thought I should tell you that you have the wrong number. My number is actually XXX-XXXX, not Gail. Thanks.”
I thought for sure, that this would clear up any confusion.
Nope.
A Few days later I received a text from Cindy, informing Gail that she was taking her mother was to the hospital because she’s been really sick.
Again I sent a nice text, “This is Morgan, not Gail… sorry about your mom.”
A few days later I received a voicemail.
“Hi Gail, its Cindy, Sorry I haven’t gotten in touch with you earlier, my mom hasn’t been doing very well and I had to put her in a hospice. If you’d like to get together tonight, give me a call.”
This time I just let it go. I figured this: I’ve told this lady I’m not Gail, I’ve texted her I’m not Gail. When she leaves messages on my voicemail, it says, “Hi, this is MORGAN…” And if she hasn’t noticed that Gail has no clue what she’s talking about when she mentions “the numerous messages she’s left”, then I can’t help her anymore. She’s on her own.
Finally the situation worsened. I got a text stating,
“Hi Gail, It’s Cindy. My mother passed this morning. I’m ok. Are you going to be in the office today? I need your order.”
Oh no, what should I do? Should I send my condolences? Should I buy some Avon out of pity? I relayed the entire story to my BF. He thinks, quite rightly, that this lady is a few crayons short of a box, and reminds me that not only is she a stranger, but that I’m happy with my Bare Minerals makeup.
So again, I let it go, and for some reason was sure the calls/texts would stop.
Do you believe that this morning I got a call from Cindy? This time I answered, and told her I’m sorry you have the wrong number. Finally, it was over. Not that it was a traumatic ordeal, just awkward. This poor woman is telling a complete stranger her family’s personal business and doesn’t even realize it!
Only… it wasn’t over. While I was in the shower this morning, I missed a call, and waiting for me was a new voicemail. From Cindy!
“Hi Gail. I was calling you back about those people whose house burned down. If you talk to them, have them call me. I’ve got all of this furniture and I need to get rid of it this week. If they don’t take it I’m just going to donate it to Catholic Charities or something. Also your new order comes to $25 and change or something.”
I guess there’s nothing I can do. Cindy just isn’t going to get it. Or, maybe I really am Gail, and I just don’t know it… Anyway, I’ll say one thing. This lady sure is business minded. Even amidst personal struggle, the one thing that seems to always be on her mind is her Avon business. If you’re looking to buy some new make-up, let me know, I know a GREAT sales woman!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so tell me what you think!