** UPDATE: COMMENTS ARE WORKING! Just click the individual post title, you can't leave them on the main page.


Weird. **

12.16.2009

Toe-may-toe
Toe-mah-toe

Lately, on TV and on the radio,
I've been hearing people pronounce this word "Poin-set-ee-ah"... 
Since when did this begin? 
I've always said/heard Point-setta. 

Come to think of it
I've never actually noticed the spelling,
so maybe I am saying it wrong...
However,
I find the alternative pronounciation annoying.
So I am going to continue to say "point-setta."




According to Mark & Mercedes,
"it turns out there ISN'T a correct pronunciation . . . not really.

The word itself comes from the name of the guy who introduced the plant to the U.S. in 1825, Joel Poinsett. But the rest of the word . . . meaning the "ia" part . . . is a mystery.

So if you look up the pronunciation at online dictionaries, they give you both "poin-set-ee-ah" and "poin-set-ah."







post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so tell me what you think!