** UPDATE: COMMENTS ARE WORKING! Just click the individual post title, you can't leave them on the main page.


Weird. **

6.03.2010

Prince of Persia

On Memorial Day, I went with my Mom and Ev to see Prince of Persia.  I've never played the games, and I didn't know much about the story, but I really wanted to see this movie.  Why? You ask...

I've got 5 words for you...

Mr. Muscle-y Arms, Jake Gyllenhaal 


This guy is basically my new crush, and I'm strongly considering leaving BF for him...  {What? It could happen.}

For the last few weeks, every time I've picked up a celebrity gossip magazine, I've seen photos of him walking around shirtless on set, in all of his Swash-buckling glory, with a weave that would make Farrah jealous.  Needless to say, I didn't care what the movie was about.  I just wanted a piece of this man candy.



Gents, don't worry.  This movie has something for everyone, there is also some delicious Lady Flavored eye candy in the form of Gemma Arterton, from Clash of the Titans.

Unfortunately, Muscle-y Arms never takes his shirt completely off... *tear* {It is a Disney movie}

Overall, I really liked the movie, and give it ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ . 

..........

Side note:  For some reason, I kept thinking about the accents.

All of the actors used English accents, even though the movie is set in the Middle East.  Since 1935, Persia has been known as Iran.  The Islamic conquest of Persia, gave rise to the Middle Iranian language, and later its evolution into New Persian/ Modern Persian (Farsi).  Now, the Islamic conquest of Persia occurred in the 7th century AD.  So if this movie were factual, it takes place sometime between 601 (when the language began to develop into an Indo-European language- other Indo-European languages include Spanish, and English) and 1935, when the country stopped being called Persia.  Therefore, it is plausible that the people of this time used an English accent, but with 60% of the population still speaking only Farsi, it's not likely. 

I guess my point is this: Isn't it funny that movies which are supposed to take place in foreign places often use British accents, and we accept it as authentic, because to many, a British accent is still foreign?



Luckily for us, Disney brought us a work of fiction, complete with a time traveling dagger, so I guess they can use whatever accents they wish.


post signature

1 comment:

  1. I saw it the Friday it came out with my parents, just because we had nothing else to do ha ha None of us really knew anything about it (my parents haven't had cable for almost 2 years so they hadn't even seen a trailer for it) and I couldn't recall anything about it. So basically we all went to see a movie that we knew nothing about except heard it might be good from a friend. ha ha And i really liked it! And i'm with you, pretty much I would leave Sean for Jake ha ha I always thought he was a little cutie patootie, but in this movie, man--S-E-X-Y!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so tell me what you think!